The Plaza in the heart of town
The large block-square park at the heart of Santa Fe was laid out in 1610 by decree of the King of Spain. It was the end of two famed trade routes: the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri and the El Camino Real from Mexico. The plaza has been the site of more major historical events than any similar place in the Southwest. It remains the prime locale for the town’s most colorful celebrations and fiestas.
Pueblos of the Rio Grande.